, attached to 1994-06-26

Review by funk_lin

funk_lin Written by SWiM on the occasion of the 20th anniversary (2014) of this show


The end of a long run (by my standards) and totally unplanned show. Beavis and Butthead was still in the air. Started with a big whiff by my first and only shut out at Kalamazoo (what was happening to our band?!), to the next first- a one set full show in Cincinnati (FIRE!). Then taking JG's keys by accident and heading to Columbus without him, leaving him stranded in Cincy with friends causing him to get fired from a job he didn't like at the Red Chair Bakery. But did I care? No! Because we didn't have cell phones back then and I didn't find out till I rolled into his friend's place in Columbus. He did get a ride back to Btown with L who borrowed a car from her parents that lived in Cincy. Columbus - front row Trey side. Enough said there. Skip Pontiac to go back to Indy to kiss and make up with JG to catch another fantastic show in the Murat Theatre. So lots of balloons everywhere back then. We weren't under a microscope due to some other Band still touring. Made '99 look like nursery school. So much that in Nautica, the band needed to let us know we were being idiots. Very special. Great energy at Nautica for some reason ;-) I'm not sure, but to hear Highway to Hell for the encore got our juices flowing (harkening us back to '93 Murat) and told us we needed to keep going. We were supposed to go home. But something pulled us. We were lit (again). JG had no job. The only time any of us went to a show unplanned. We were on Tour. So we hit the road for Charleston, WV.
8 hours away I think was the calculation.

We pulled into a 1/2 empty parking at the Municipal Auditorium the next day and stayed that way until showtime. Inside, more of the same. Each person had minimum 4 seats to dance. Kung opener! Weird! Never heard that before to start a show. Llama then Lizards sounded great. Is that Tela I hear? Wait? Is this happening?!! YESSS!!! Its ON! Hugs all around. Second set was icing. On clouds. We won.

Luckily Walnut Creek was 3 days away, so we loaded up on orange juice and chocolate (unadulturated) and headed back to Bloomington and pulled in a few hours after sunrise. Twenty years ago...

(Maybe we went to UIC. Truthfully can't remember...)

Still Upside Down,


Phish.net is a non-commercial project run by Phish fans and for Phish fans under the auspices of the all-volunteer, non-profit Mockingbird Foundation.

This project serves to compile, preserve, and protect encyclopedic information about Phish and their music.

Credits | Terms Of Use | Legal | DMCA

© 1990-2024  The Mockingbird Foundation, Inc. | Hosted by Linode