Besides Mike (e.g. "Foam"), Fish (e.g. "Faht"), Page (e.g. "Magilla"), Trey (esp. TMWSIY, though at least 268 are registered in his name), and collaborations within the band (e.g. on Ghost ), lyrics to Phish songs have been penned by:
- Tom Marshall, lots
- Susannah Goodman, "Bathtub Gin"
- "Daubs" Daubert co-wrote, e.g. "Curtain"
- Richard Wright (aka Nancy Taube) wrote "Haley's Comet"
- Dude of Life - three tunes on Junta
- the "8th grade songwriting team" including Szuter and Woolfe, on Golgi Apparatus
- J. Linitz, co-credited for "The Train Song" on Billy Breathes
- Scott Herman: "Cavern", "Limb by Limb", and the second verse of "Squirming Coil"
- list terribly incomplete -- please submit others! and see The Phish Companion for a complete list
- As Hidden track reported (5/18/00), "While Tom Marshall has been Trey’s main songwriting partner since the early days of Phish, Anastasio has worked with other writers in the past. Back in the late ’80s, Trey created the music for Bathtub Gin around Susannah Goodman’s lyrics. More recently, Shine producer Brendan O”Brien contributed to the title track from that LP as well as Invisible, Sleep Again and Spin. Old friend Steve “The Dude of Life” Pollak teamed up with Big Red to write Show of Life, which was debuted on February’s Classic TAB tour. Furthermore, “Captain Kevin” offman lent a hand for A Case of Ice and Snow."
"I was a little sick of the goofiness, to be perfectly honest. I wanted to say things that were closer to my heart." - Trey to Aspen Times, 6/23/06
"It is a delicious thing to write, to be no longer yourself but to move in an entire universe of your own creating." -- Gustave Flaubert (1821-1880)"
"Trey had this book called the Dictionary of Clichés and that's how AC/DC Bag' was written." - Mike Gordon on Jambands.com, 8/29/03
Thanks also to CJ Manza and Josh Soper.