, attached to 2003-07-15

Review by nedhelio

nedhelio In a 4 car caravan of friends super pumped to get to see our only show of the summer, I drove down from Central Idaho with my wife and parked in what seemed to me to be the remains of some sort of quarry. We started partying and a friend broke out a gigantic bag of mushrooms. Naturally, I ate about an 1/8th plus another gram or 2 because it's a phish show. Turns out that was a terrible plan. Once we got inside, I realized these were no normal mushrooms. I started tripping my entire face off waiting for them to hit the stage. They came out, opened with bag>ya mar, and that's when things went right off the rails. We had a nice blanket spread out, and my wife looks over at me and says "are you going to be sick?" That was the clearance I needed to let my stomach loose. I threw up right next to the blanket, apologized to the people next to us, and said I needed some air.

I wandered around the grass for the duration of the first set hallucinating furiously, and vomiting about every 10 minutes. I remember bits and pieces of Saw It Again and Poor Heart. A couple of Salt Lake's finest saw me clearly in distress and started trying to approach. I was with it enough to recognize what was happening, and began weaving my way through the lawn area avoiding cops, barfing, jamming, and repeating the whole cycle again.

Miraculously, I emptied all the poison out of my body, as Mike's was transitioning into Hydrogen and Weekapaugh. Finally setbreak happened, and I made my way back to the group. They had seen the whole escapade and thought it was hilarious watching me evade the cops.

Second set was a whole different me. I was fully back to normal (still tripping face, just not sick). I loved Mr. Completely from the original TAB album, and was so stoked to hear it played by the boys. Obviously, the set progressed into utter sickness with low rider BBFCFM> Buried Alive>BBFC>Ha Ha Ha>BBFC>back into Mr. Completely clear through til the end. As I recall, the Slave was particularly good.

Always a hater on Sleeping Monkey, I was not stoked to hear it for the encore, although it is one of my friend's absolute favorite songs, so he was thrilled.
The night ended with me being wracked with abdominal pains from so much sickness in the first set. I ended up sleeping in the hotel bathroom that night because I thought I was dying. Needless to say, it was not a great first show for my wife. She was understandably aghast at my performance. I've since figured out my correct dosing of mushrooms, which is zero.
Waiting for the lot to empty out after the show, we played some frisbee in the quarry and had a blast. If I vomited near you, or you stepped in it, please accept this review apology, and know that I was an idiot when I was young.
Overall, a great show, and some hilarious memories.


Phish.net is a non-commercial project run by Phish fans and for Phish fans under the auspices of the all-volunteer, non-profit Mockingbird Foundation.

This project serves to compile, preserve, and protect encyclopedic information about Phish and their music.

Credits | Terms Of Use | Legal | DMCA

© 1990-2023  The Mockingbird Foundation, Inc. | Hosted by Linode