Sunday 08/08/2021 by phishnet

DEER CREEK 2 RECAP

[Phish.net welcomes back and thanks volunteer recapper Michael Ayers (@yhgtbfkm) for writing this recap. -Ed.]

Greetings from Deer Creek Music Center Verizon Wireless Amphitheatre Klipsch Music Center Ruoff Music Center! About 20 miles north of downtown Indianapolis, Deer Creek has been a relative staple in Phish’s touring repertoire, having played there 24 times starting back in 1995, the site of several notable shows including Live Phish Vol. 12 and The Phish from Vermont. With plenty of seating and an absolutely mammoth lawn with no bad sightlines, Deer Creek is one of those venues that should be on everyone’s list to check out, as there’s rarely a bad show there.

© 2021 Phish - Rene Huemer (used with permission)
© 2021 Phish - Rene Huemer (used with permission)

The weather for tonight’s show could not have been any better. Mid 80s with a beautiful breeze blowing. I arrived at the venue around 5pm and with my trusty pint of Jack cleverly disguised as a bottle of diet root beer, I set off for Shakedown to see what goodies folks would be slinging. As usual, there were vendors selling tees, pipes and adult libations, as well as folks doing palm readings, selling handmade wooden artifacts and rocks (if you’re into that sort of thing). I picked up two shirts, a pair of socks and a rather potent Jack and Coke while I took in the scenery.

Eventually I wandered into the venue and settled into my spot on the lawn; Mike side with two cans of Liquid Death. To my right was a thoroughly inebriated gentleman who regaled me with stories of seeing “The Phish” at Deer Creek in the 90s (and winking as if I didn’t get the reference). To my left were two couples that discussed amongst themselves the plight of the underprivileged when it came to their treatment within the judicial system and their own experiences. In front of me was a couple who lamented missing out on some Panic shows for this run, and behind me was a guy who probably had no idea what year it was, much less where he was. Never a dull moment on the lawn.

2021 Michael Ayers (used with permission)
2021 Michael Ayers (used with permission)

The band comes on and immediately fires up "Crowd Control," much to the chagrin of the aforementioned inebriated gentleman who loudly yelled, “Nobody listens to Undermind!” Despite being about as far away from the band as we could possibly be and still be in the venue, Trey somehow heard his words and kicked off "Poor Heart." This was one of the better "Poor Hearts," as Trey mostly, but not quite completely, nailed the intro. "Moma Dance" comes in the third hole and gets the lawn bouncing. Nobody around me is standing still, even the dude who has no idea where he is is grooving along. "Back on the Train" continues the dance party, and even though the weather is cooperating, Trey decides to give the audience a chance to cool down and launches into "Army of One," which causes the somehow-still-drinking Inebriated Guy to yell out, “AH MAN I LOVE THIS SONG!!” Trey gives all of us another few minutes worth of breather in "Bouncing Around the Room" before launching us back into the dance party with "Ya Mar."

After a spirited rendition of "Ya Mar," the band puts on a slow tune for the couples in the audience to dance to in the way of "Roggae." Inebriated Guy and I look at each other and he just shrugs his shoulders, slams the rest of his beer and yells, “BRING BACK THE FUNK!”

This time around Trey seems to have not heard him, because the audience is treated to the first ever performance of "A Wave of Hope." I couldn’t really tell you much about the debut, as Inebriated Guy spent most of the song asking me if I knew what song this was.

"Stash" follows and "Stash" is "Stash." Some people (Inebriated Guy) love it. Some people (yours truly) can do without it. I was told by (phish.net head tyrant and all around okay human, @Icculus - Ed.) that this was among one of the top versions of "Stash" in Phish history. Take their word for it, not mine.

Trey closes out set 1 with "Cavern" and remarks that they’ll be back in 15 minutes. Inebriated Guy leans over to me and yells, “HE ALWAYS SAYS 15 MINUTES, BUT IT’LL BE AT LEAST 30.” Good to know.

© 2021 Phish - Rene Huemer  (used with permission)
© 2021 Phish - Rene Huemer (used with permission)

Sure enough, 15 minutes rolls by and the house lights stay on. Inebriated Guy was right. Right around 9:45 I feel a tap on my shoulder. Inebriated Guy has three Yuengling’s clutched in his arm, and he hands one to me. “CHEERS BUD, LET’S DO THIS!” I don’t know why he’s yelling but that beer had to cost him like $15, so I kept my mouth shut and toasted him.

Almost as if it was a premonition, as soon as I take my first sip of Yuengling, the house lights go down and the band comes out and kicks off “Everything’s Right,” and let me tell you, it was. Clocking it at just a shade over 22 and a half minutes, "Everything’s Right" releases a firehose of awesomeness all over the crowd, like a Gwar show except you don’t feel compelled to burn the clothes you wore to the show once you get home.

"What’s The Use" follows suit much to the delight of everyone within my vicinity (except for guy who has no idea where he is. He presumably still has no idea where he is). During the break between songs, Inebriated Guy yells, “DANCE PARTY!!!” I’m not sure who exactly he was yelling at (and even less sure if HE knew who he was yelling at), but by some miracle his cries were heard and up came "Crosseyed and Painless." Probably not the rager Inebriated Guy was hoping for, but nobody expected the "What’s The Use Reprise" that capped it off.

After a brief pause, bass rumblings signal the start of "Down With Disease," and the lawn got barefoot and got down. At only 14 minutes it’s not a barn burner, but it was just what we needed.

© 2021 Phish - Rene Huemer (used with permission)
© 2021 Phish - Rene Huemer (used with permission)

"Wading in the Velvet Sea" is next and Inebriated Guy leans over and yells in my ear, “YOU EVER HEARD THE VERSION OF THIS FROM COVENTRY? MAKE YOU CRY, BUD.” If you haven’t, don’t.

As if sensing that our collective spirits were down and we needed one final pick-me-up before trekking back to our vehicles, Trey launches into "Possum." The crowd musters whatever energy they have left and throws every glowstick in the venue, creating this beautiful spectacle to cap off a wonderful evening.

For the encore, Trey sends all of us back home with "Drift While You're Sleeping," letting us know that love will carry us through, and when the house lights come up I glance back over at Inebriated Guy who is wiping a tear from his eye. “Love will carry us through, bud. Never forget that,” he says as he bro hugs me and walks off into the night. I tip my cap to him as he disappears into the crowd, and I start to make my way towards the exit.

So all in all, it was a fine show. You might be tempted to compare this show to last night’s or the rest of the shows that have happened so far, but comparing shows to other shows is like comparing apples to oranges: what’s the use?

If you liked this blog post, one way you could "like" it is to make a donation to The Mockingbird Foundation, the sponsor of Phish.net. Support music education for children, and you just might change the world.


Comments

, comment by mgolia6
mgolia6 Thanks for the recap. I did love how you entwined the experience, the characters and the like, to get us in your mind set. Nothing quite like flying solo for a show. Funny how being at a show alone makes you magnetized, luring in the Randy’s of the world.

Missing a bit of musical description as it relates to the review aspect but overall thought it was very entertaining.

From the couch this show seemed to begin like a Saturday night special and really took form in set two. Everything’s Right is the bands way of saying, “If your not satisfied up to this point, we’ll, chew on this, Son!”

The What’s the Use was nicely placed and the reprise welcome prior to that DWD. Cross Eyed, to me suffers from the fact that it’s not (insert previous amazing version’s date here) Cross-Eyed. For me that’s 1/1/11. Though this band has hit stride early and I’ve been mindflayer’d multiple times, there was still that slight nagging feeling knowing that this Cross-eyed most likely wouldn’t “go there” this time around.

In all, a fine showing and again, thanks for the recap and inviting us into your perspective from the lawn. I hope that guy who hasn’t a clue where he was found where he was going.

Mahalo Nui,
Matthew
, comment by CaptainBeefart
CaptainBeefart Now THAT’S a recap. Thanks, man. I feel like I was there with ya.
, comment by vinsanity46
vinsanity46 Interesting perspective, to be a Phish fan and not like Stash…

I mean, it’s the entirely wrong perspective, but I guess it’s unique?

I gotta say, as someone who loves this band and has a lot to say on the details of the actual jams…

…such as the fact that Fishman was creating multi-layered mountain landscapes in every jam that immediately catapulted everything in the second set into almost immediate Type II goodness. I mean, the man is out there terraforming, morphing alongside his band members and lifting them up to epic heights…and the past two reviews haven’t mentioned it nearly at all…

…can I please review tonight’s show @icculus?
, comment by Slewfoot
Slewfoot Really loved reading this recap! The descriptions of those around you really made me feel one step closer to the show. For that I thank you.

And I agree 100% with everything written about the music. You nailed what were to my ears the highlights and the nuances. I too had a tear in my eye while listening to the encore. Long live Inebriated Guy!
, comment by SlimCharles
SlimCharles Just wondering what kind of fan doesn't welcome "Stash" at every chance when I realized that I'm one of the few who could do with any other jam vehicle other than DwD.
Anyway, loved the review.
, comment by Protondecay123
Protondecay123 Listened to the show last night. Thanks for making me feel like i was there! I needed that!
, comment by demented
demented Thanks for the Recap. I liked the Crowd Control opener which seemed a warning or hopeful encouragement to be safe. I have been at Deer Creek many times and have always loved it (my favorite was 7/22/2003 for the incredible Gumbo and the fantastic Split to open the 2nd set). Julia and I both felt the Crowd Control was encouraging to use who wore masks while being fully vaccinated. Thus seemed supportive to us who were masked people. Moma and the rest of the set was normal great. A Wave of Hope was a debut and a welcomed message - we do need some hope right now. Stash was great with good interplay. 1st set high.
Everythings Right was right with good jamming. set 2 HIGHLIGHT.
I liked the Ghost's of the Forest song
Possum was very good.
Overall Normal Great
Now on to Hershey.
, comment by 46Blaze
46Blaze Sincerely hope Inebriated Guy didn’t give you covid or wook flu with all the chunks he seemed intent on blowing in your face. Gotta love it when dumb motherfuckers shout through your favorite songs and talk about Coventry ????
, comment by sgallivan
sgallivan GREAT recap! Thank you!
, comment by willis00
willis00 Great recap! Gave a real sense of your experience. And I won't even hate on your Stash hating. I really don't care for PYITE, so WTH can I say?

Also, except for getting sober in 2006, I'd be Inebriated Guy for sure. Why talk in a normal voice when you can yell anyway?
, comment by aquaman44
aquaman44 It's nice they're back. Lot's of rust still on this 4.0 iteration tho. Clean up that Stash. Bouncin should be a lay up but somehow it looked like a half court toss up. People are shelling out lots of $$ to attend these shows. They've cornered the market and raised the price. But the product purity does not match the premium—yet. I'll check back in the fall.
, comment by LizardwithaZ
LizardwithaZ I really enjoyed reading this review! Nice work!
, comment by antelope_witcha
antelope_witcha Yes, Karen, you're right. I'm sure they'll read your review and make sure they give 110% next time. Good thing you're here to make sure they aren't shirking their duty to you, the $$ paying customer.

@aquaman44 said:
It's nice they're back. Lot's of rust still on this 4.0 iteration tho. Clean up that Stash. Bouncin should be a lay up but somehow it looked like a half court toss up. People are shelling out lots of $$ to attend these shows. They've cornered the market and raised the price. But the product purity does not match the premium—yet. I'll check back in the fall.
, comment by aquaman44
aquaman44 Sorry ​I​ forgot the enforcers of the “no criticism or I’ll call you a Karen” orthodoxy were on patrol. I paid $24 for the webcast which ironically was about the price of a live ticket when over-delivering was the norm. Sorry you weren’t around to remember that.​ ​

​Silver lining:​ Maybe one day when you’ve moved out of your parents basement and​ taken on some responsibility you'll​ have a more ​nuanced worldview and you'll start actually thinking for yourself.

@antelope_witcha said:
Yes, Karen, you're right. I'm sure they'll read your review and make sure they give 110% next time. Good thing you're here to make sure they aren't shirking their duty to you, the $$ paying customer.

@aquaman44 said:
It's nice they're back. Lot's of rust still on this 4.0 iteration tho. Clean up that Stash. Bouncin should be a lay up but somehow it looked like a half court toss up. People are shelling out lots of $$ to attend these shows. They've cornered the market and raised the price. But the product purity does not match the premium—yet. I'll check back in the fall.
, comment by recycledsoul
recycledsoul Hey man, I think there might be a book on your shelf that’s gathering some dust. It’s there, can you see it?

@aquaman44 said:
Sorry ​I​ forgot the enforcers of the “no criticism or I’ll call you a Karen” orthodoxy were on patrol. I paid $24 for the webcast which ironically was about the price of a live ticket when over-delivering was the norm. Sorry you weren’t around to remember that.​ ​

​Silver lining:​ Maybe one day when you’ve moved out of your parents basement and​ taken on some responsibility you'll​ have a more ​nuanced worldview and you'll start actually thinking for yourself.

@antelope_witcha said:
Yes, Karen, you're right. I'm sure they'll read your review and make sure they give 110% next time. Good thing you're here to make sure they aren't shirking their duty to you, the $$ paying customer.

@aquaman44 said:
It's nice they're back. Lot's of rust still on this 4.0 iteration tho. Clean up that Stash. Bouncin should be a lay up but somehow it looked like a half court toss up. People are shelling out lots of $$ to attend these shows. They've cornered the market and raised the price. But the product purity does not match the premium—yet. I'll check back in the fall.
, comment by aquaman44
aquaman44 I can see clearly that you're virtue signaling. :)

@recycledsoul said:
Hey man, I think there might be a book on your shelf that’s gathering some dust. It’s there, can you see it?

@aquaman44 said:
Sorry ​I​ forgot the enforcers of the “no criticism or I’ll call you a Karen” orthodoxy were on patrol. I paid $24 for the webcast which ironically was about the price of a live ticket when over-delivering was the norm. Sorry you weren’t around to remember that.​ ​

​Silver lining:​ Maybe one day when you’ve moved out of your parents basement and​ taken on some responsibility you'll​ have a more ​nuanced worldview and you'll start actually thinking for yourself.

@antelope_witcha said:
Yes, Karen, you're right. I'm sure they'll read your review and make sure they give 110% next time. Good thing you're here to make sure they aren't shirking their duty to you, the $$ paying customer.

@aquaman44 said:
It's nice they're back. Lot's of rust still on this 4.0 iteration tho. Clean up that Stash. Bouncin should be a lay up but somehow it looked like a half court toss up. People are shelling out lots of $$ to attend these shows. They've cornered the market and raised the price. But the product purity does not match the premium—yet. I'll check back in the fall.
, comment by Phishtime
Phishtime I’m with you. Fishman was really driving the improvisations and making it possible for the other instruments to lift off. He rarely gets the credit he deserves.

It’s unfortunate to read all of the negativity in this thread, especially considering that from my perspective, this was probably the best Phish show I have ever been to, and I have been to numerous great ones. Sure Trey misses sections here or there. That’s not new, and if you listen to really old shows, it happened back then too.

What amazes me is that Trey and the rest of the band just moves on to see what will happen rather than be stuck in what happened. Sure, there were some mistakes in Stash, but it still ended up being my personal favorite version of Stash ever. The connectivity and excitement in the crowd was unreal. Everyone was showing their appreciation that not only is Phish playing again, but also that they’re playing so well overall.

The reviewer didn’t make much of a deal about it, but the timing and delivery of Army of One was really exceptional. I spoke with multiple people who felt like the entire crowd had a “moment” during that song, like each person was reckoning with the circumstances in their individual worlds and the world as a whole right now. Also, we do not get a song debut at every show, and I think “A Wave of Hope”deserves some credit. Finally, give that Possum another listen. It is no ordinary Possum.

I 100% got what I paid for, and I didn’t talk to a single person all weekend who felt otherwise.
Thanks for the review, and thanks for reading.

Here are the lyrics to “A Wave of Hope.”

From out of the chaos
A wave appears
In the moonlit confusion
Irons melted
Coming Grace, no longer frozen
The pillow drowns the moans
And shallow breaths
As dancing silvery rays change, each wave eyes a star
And the swollen moon hangs over the water

Reflections guide the way
Gold maze mirrors
As the night wheels turn
Shipwrecks sway, steel mast crashes
Spin green sky

I have grown my wings, I am flying
Ascending now, I am soaring
Untied my wrists, and flew away
This too shall pass, this too shall pass

I have grown wings, I am flying
Ascending fool, I am soaring
Untied my wrists, and Flew Away
This too shall pass, this too shall pass

We are flying, we are flying
Over the water
We are diving, we are diving
Into the water

I have grown wings, I am flying
Ascending now, I am soaring
Untied my wrists, and flew away
This too shall pass, this too shall pass

@vinsanity46 said:
Interesting perspective, to be a Phish fan and not like Stash…

I mean, it’s the entirely wrong perspective, but I guess it’s unique?

I gotta say, as someone who loves this band and has a lot to say on the details of the actual jams…

…such as the fact that Fishman was creating multi-layered mountain landscapes in every jam that immediately catapulted everything in the second set into almost immediate Type II goodness. I mean, the man is out there terraforming, morphing alongside his band members and lifting them up to epic heights…and the past two reviews haven’t mentioned it nearly at all…

…can I please review tonight’s show @icculus?
You must be logged in to post a comment.


Phish.net

Phish.net is a non-commercial project run by Phish fans and for Phish fans under the auspices of the all-volunteer, non-profit Mockingbird Foundation.

This project serves to compile, preserve, and protect encyclopedic information about Phish and their music.

Credits | Terms Of Use | Legal | DMCA

© 1990-2021  The Mockingbird Foundation, Inc. | Hosted by Linode