Cynthia Woods Mitchell Pavilion, The Woodlands, TX
Encore: Character Zero
· Theme from The Good, the Bad and the Ugly tease in Scent of a Mule
Average Song Gap: 7.19
Notes: Scent of a Mule contained a quote of the theme from The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly.
Songs by Debut Year:
This show was part of the "1998 Summer U.S. Tour."
The 2nd set starts with a fantasticly funky Wolfman's that's gets straight-up dirty. 2001 keeps the funk going and the SOAMUle Ha Ha Ha sandwich keeps the energy going and is a downright fun listen. waxbanks is on the money with Slave>CDT being backwards but a great way to close the set nonetheless. Character Zero encore, meh, but this is a very solid show. The Wolfman's>2001 is certainly a must-hear for any phan IMO
just a great jam. must-hear.
(1) SBD available @ PHISHOWS.COM (get this show!!!)
(2) Moma Dance --> Jim is one of my favorite openers in the entire archive as far as combinations go and these two versions sound very tight
(3) Stash and Taste both are played superb
(4) Wolfman's --> 2001 brings the funk and sounds real tight and I def. agree with WAXBANKS's observation
(5) MULE --> HA HA HA --> MULE reveals the band is having a blast and is in the mood
(6) Slave has a very well played climax and otro
(7) Chalkdust to end the 2nd set on a strong, intense note!
Just my $.02
It's mostly a Type 1 show but most everything is excellent. RJim, Stash, Taste, and Slave were particularly good.
I took a first-time friend to this show and hooked him easily.
Give this one a listen...it deserves more praise.